A food handling, sanitation and work safety course designed for food service establishment operators and front line food service workers.
• This is a single course and by itself does not lead to any career path
• Grade 12 graduate or mature student status (British Columbia 19 years or older)
• Meet minimum English language proficiency requirements.
Upon completion of this program the successful student will have reliably demonstrated the ability to
- Understand how microorganisms pose a hazard to food.
- Know what bacteria needs to grow and what food bacteria grows well in.
- Understand the term cross-contamination and how it can occur.
- Identify how to prevent and control food pests.
- Know how to care for and clean equipment.
- Be aware of the law involving food hygiene.
Assessment will consist of interactive activities and an exam.
Students must pass the course with at least 80%.
|Total instructional hours||40|
|Total Co-op hours||0|
|Total program hours||40|
|Total program length (day)||10|
☒ In-class instruction
☒ Distance education
☒ Combined delivery (both in-class and distance)
Not all courses may have textbooks. Textbooks are listed on the course outline. Textbooks may not be available through the college.
- Successful completion of the course.
For proof of English Language Proficiency please refer the Student Handbook.