International Students

  /  International Students


[vc_empty_space][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row row_content_width=”grid”][vc_column]

Admission Requirements for International Students

Studying as an international student can be a rewarding and life changing experience! Canada is a popular choice for many international students for its high education standards, beautiful cities and high quality of life. Choosing the right school is especially important when studying abroad. The Institute of Technology Development of Canada is home to many International Students who are an important part of our college community, and we are committed to helping you every step of the way!
[/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row row_content_width=”grid”][vc_column][vc_tta_accordion][vc_tta_section title=”English Language Proficiency Policy” tab_id=”1565117732038-18df696b-ab45″][vc_column_text]All applicants regardless of nonimmigrant or immigrant status must demonstrate that English is their “first”language. Demonstration that English is an applicant’s “first” language can be satisfied if the applicant has earned a diploma from secondary school in a system in which English is the official language of instruction. Applicants who are unable to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements will be required to complete the College’s English Assessment Test at the College. Applicants are required to pass the College’s English Assessment Test at the Pre-intermediate level for all programs to be able to apply to non-ESL college programs.[/vc_column_text][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”ESL Admission Requirements” tab_id=”1565117732086-7823e054-fb9f”][vc_column_text]Those applicants who do not meet the proof of English Language Proficiency as described above, will have to take the college’s English Assessment Test. Depending on the outcome they will be placed into one of three Adult English Development programs

  • Beginner
  • Elementary
  • Pre-intermediate

To be admitted into one of the academic programs the applicant will have to have successfully completed the Pre-intermediate level. If an applicant places higher than Pre-Intermediate on the assessment they meet the academic program English language requirement.[/vc_column_text][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Admission Requirements for Non-Residents” tab_id=”1565117787205-3bbacbd0-7142″][vc_column_text]International students require a study permit and are required to follow the process described above with these additions.

  • Original or official copies of all educational transcripts and credentialing documents. must be in English. If the document has been translated the original along with a certified translated copy must be submitted.
  • Proof of English language proficiency as described above.
  • Photocopy of a current passport for proof of citizenship and birth date.
  • A formal letter of acceptance as required by Canadian Immigration Canada.
  • A completed and signed Application for Admission form.
  • A completed and signed enrollment Agreement.
  • A $350 non-refundable application fee.

For those international applicants who do not meet the English language proficiency requirements and wish to take one of the other program offerings they will be required to follow the ‘ESL Admission Requirements’ described above.[/vc_column_text][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Study Permit” tab_id=”1565117816846-eb52a615-1f64″][vc_column_text]In order to study at the College applicants must obtain a Study Permit prior to entering Canada. Obtaining a Study Permit is the applicants responsibility.

Additional information can be found at Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If a student needs to extend their study permit they contact the nearest Canadian Immigration Centre at least two-months before the expiry on the permit.

When an international student on a study permit has been dismissed or withdraws from a program for which a study permit has been issued, the College is obliged to provide notification to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.[/vc_column_text][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Work Permit” tab_id=”1565117850200-372e113b-6945″][vc_column_text]The majority of the College’s programs have a paid Coop component, therefor a student will need to obtain a work permit. The work permit can be obtained before or after a student enters the country.[/vc_column_text][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Medical” tab_id=”1565117878196-31746f79-a844″][vc_column_text]

International students must have a valid Study Permit upon entering Canada to be eligible for medical coverage under the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). Students who have been granted study permits for six or more months must be covered under the province’s medical service plan.

International students should not acquire private medical insurance for any longer than this time period as it will still be mandatory for them to be covered by MSP. Students should apply immediately upon acceptance, as there is a three-month waiting period.


User registration

You don't have permission to register

Reset Password